Monday, September 10, 2012

Classic Daddy Move

Jeff is an amazing father.  He plays with the kids all the time.  He is always snuggling them on the couch.  He jokes with them and they do some pretty fun stuff.  Even with his crazy crazy schedule he makes sure to create time for them.  And they adore him.

But he is also the daddy, and daddies work on different premises than mommies.  I haven't watched that new Lifetime show "The Week the Women Left."  But I am pretty sure what happens, I mean the producers were too, that's why they made that show. 

So on Saturday I went shopping with a friend in the late afternoon.  We were running later than anticipated (which is a mommy thing, especially when shopping).  The two husbands are good friends and all of the kids are friends.  So the daddies decided to get together at one of the houses with the kids.  Now mind you, Tanner is at a birthday party and should be picked up soon, and it is dinner time. 

So the daddies call the mommies.  They want us to pick up Tanner and they are more than willing to let us cook when we get home, but we will need to stop at the store after getting Tanner and pick up more ingredients for tacos.  And the daddies are going to start a wine kit and need us to pick up gallons of water.  That works, so mommies stop to get Tanner and head to the store.  It is already 7:30.

I really should interject that at this point Jeff did try to text me if I had Tanner already.  And I was actually doing just that and missed the text.

But the funny part is when we got to the store.  We literally RAN into Jeff coming out of the store as we are going in.  He was LEAVING.  The look on his face was priceless.  Because did he have food?  No.  Did he have the water? No. While he was out did he offer to get Tanner?  No.

But he had picked up some beer.  :) 

It was one of those moments when my friend taught me a very valuable lesson.  I wanted to be mad, but she helped me laugh.  And she reminded me, he is a daddy.  And a very good one.  And he does not think like a mommy, and never will.  Everyone was safe, everyone was happy, maybe a little hungry, but he knew I would provide that.  Just like I know he will provide for our family.  Just like I know he will always help us laugh and be happy. 

And now, after that moment, I can let go of the mommy annoyed moments.  I can remember just how thankful I am for him.  I can remember how much I love him.  Funny how things work like that, huh?  And I decided it was important for me to blog this because I wanted it recorded so I have this lesson in a place where I can refer back and be able to find it at any moment.  Because this is important.


No comments: