Thursday, April 12, 2012

Homeschool: Yes I Am

We have made a major decision for our family. It has actually been in the works for years. Jeff always wanted me to homeschool. It just took me being really ready to agree. As this school year wore on it was becoming clearer and clearer that public education was not the best option for our kids. And the more I subbed, the more I thought about homeschooling.
I went to our principal and made it official a week ago. We are going to homeschool the girls starting next year. We considered starting immediately but decided that waiting until summer would give me time to get organized and would make the transition easier for the girls. Tanner is still going to go to preschool next year so that I can have three mornings a week to focus on the girls.
So why?
1. Education - We want the best educational experience possible. I want to challenge them and let them work at their own pace. School has been too easy, boring, and to challenge them I am basically homeschooling them at night. They both behave well in school, and don't really need to spend hours each day on institutional behavior skills that other kids are constantly in trouble for. I want to take advantage of more of the possibilities in Chicago for museums, culture, music, and theater. I want to take them deeper and broader in their learning.
2. Social - It's time to stop dealing with bullies, mean girls, early girl/boy relationship stuff, and inappropriate content. I am not the strictest, but really? First and third graders watching NCIS? Twilight? The stuff some of these kids say, think is funny, and is okay I find disrespectful, gross, and mean. And my kids don't need it.
The school is never going to change some of these kids or their parents. The bullies just keep finding new reasons and new ways to be obnoxious. It makes me sick to know I gave my girls permission to physically hit back because it was time to stick up for themselves.
3. Health - we catch everything that goes through that germ factory. I hope this helps us visit our pediatrician less.
4. Family - We want to make it easier for family, immediate and beyond, to be more important. For Jeff to spend more time with the kids during his winter down time. For us to visit more family out of state on a freer and more regular basis because we can take school with us.
I am excited about planning for and teaching our kids education. We are planning to follow a published math curriculum, use chapter books and trade books for a lot of the rest. I kept everything from my years getting my degree and teaching, so I will use those resources to plan. I am getting the scope, sequence and core curriculum requirements from our school, but I am hoping to exceed what they expect. I want to find a co-op group to do physical education, and the girls will still go to dance and sports.
I want this to be a positive change for our family. A way for us to grow closer. A way for the kids to learn to their potential. We are all excited. I hope I am still excited as I share out adventures with you on this journey!

1 comment:

Milana said...

I am so excited for you guys! I have a lot of friends around me that homeschool and love it! Last year they even got together with a lot of other families who were homeschooling and put together a big theater production and then put it on for all of their families...just rented a nearby building! It was amazing! You are the perfect mom for this! Your kids are so lucky to have you! Good luck! We need to catch up soon!