Monday, December 10, 2012

Annika Dominated


 She really did not dominate this month, but apparently in pictures, she did.  Homeschooling is taking a lot of my time and effort, which is good.  I enjoy it from the planning to the teaching, but not a lot of extra time for well, extras.  And I promised myself this month I would read two books instead of being on the computer.  And I did, but I didn't blog. 

Annika did make French toast for us one morning from start to finish.  I love that she enjoys learning to cook so much. 
Gaming on my phone and the Kindle Fires is out of control.  Whenever possible they are on them, so we have contained them to weekends and errands.  I do like them in the car and waiting in line!
We went to free day at the Field Museum.  The kids loved the dinosaur exhibit.  Were freaked out by the mummies.  And just too plain tired by the time we tried to go anywhere else.  It was a great day.  I love how excited and thankful they are for these adventures.
We did a unit in science on volcanoes (and I exploded a bowl, oops), earthquakes, Earth's layers, Pangea, and kinds of rocks.  Pretty interesting stuff.  I think I am learning all of it better this time compared to when I was their age!  This is Phoebe with one of our rocks, I think this was our version of igneous.  Anyways, we melted a whole bunch of stuff together and then ate it.  Well, tried, it was pretty sweet.
Annika's birthday was on Thanksgiving day.  Granny called the Sunday before and told only me she was able to visit.  Everyone else got their pants surprised off that Wednesday.  That was fun.  The next morning we were all up early and headed to State Street downtown Chicago for the big parade.  It was great weather and super busy.  But between Jeff and my shoulders and this light post the kids were able to see everything.  And I mean everything.  We stayed the full 3 hours.  We all had a great time.



Big balloons were the main reason we went and the kids were not disappointed.  They enjoyed the floats, danced to the bands, but the balloons stole the show.
Walking back afterwards we came across the polar bear float (still Annika's favorite animal by far) so of course we had to take a picture quick.
Then we surprised the kids with lunch at Rainforest Cafe which was another big hit!  Lots of animatronic animals, huge tanks of real fish, and delicious food.  We would definitely go back. 
And then home again home again for the smallest turkey feast ever, but just right, polished off with a pumpkin pie for Annika and presents.  It really turned out to be a special day for her. 

No comments: