Thursday, August 9, 2012

No Walls!

This is what consumes me for most of July...I start writing and planning our church's vacation Bible school in January.  By March I have it narrowed down to a theme and the stories we will teach.  And then I start writing the curriculum.  But then the middle of June hits and through most of July I am at church 3 or 4 times a week and working on everything daily. My children are awesome about putting up with all of it, and are so comfortable in our church it is nuts.  We had 150 kids attend and we had almost 50 volunteers help. 
This year's theme was No Walls! and was all about how people try to use real walls or ones around our hearts to keep people out and to keep us in.  But God breaks them all down to show us how much He loves us.  It was a great week of fun, fellowship, and learning.  I am always nervous about how it will turn out.  And then it goes smoothly, I see the kids learning, teenagers interacting, adults stepping out of their comfort zones, and everyone coming together and it makes every minute worth it.  Here are a few highlights...
 My science center teachers always dress up in character.  They were building different block walls and knocking them down this day.
 There is Annika in art making a "ram's horn" out of paper and decorating it.  I was afraid the kids wouldn't like this, but who was I to underestimate something that makes noise???
 The band Reign Advisory (current and past church members) wrote our theme song and two of them led music all week.
 Tanner during music dancing and playing follow the leader.
 We tested the strength of different kinds of chains one day in science.  The kids get a kick out of the hands on activities that relate to the stories.
 They played with a parachute one day during story.
 All of the kids worked together to make a giant paper chain that circled our sanctuary. 
 Phoebe in snack time...we try to keep it healthy and simple.  But make it fun and a time that the kids can chat.
 By Friday God had knocked down a wall everyday in a story and we talked about how the sky was the limit for us with God on our side.  So we shot off water rockets. 
 It was super hot each day and by Friday games was all about getting wet.  Here Phoebe had just sprayed her leader (in the tie dye). 
 Reign Advisory raises money for the organization Feed My Starving Children.  We sent home little boxes with the kids.  And our church has been collecting proteins for our local food pantry.  The kids raised $961 and lots of cans, enough that it totalled being able to feed 5000 servings of food to starving kids.  I was so proud of all the kids that they did this!
 Here is Tanner decorating a little wooden airplane the last day.
And some of the kids the final day at the very end. 

This week blesses me in ways I can't even express and fills my heart for the year.  Thanks to Cross of Glory for encouraging me to do this!

No comments: